This post may contain affiliate links. See site Terms here.
This Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup starts with a delicious creamy base and filled with chicken, wild rice, and veggies. You’ll love it!
I’ve always loved Chicken & Wild Rice Soup because it is really filling – I love the texture of the rice along with the chicken and veggies. The secret to all the flavor in this soup is Better than Bouillon chicken base – it tastes about 100x better than plain chicken stock. Make sure to try it in this recipe! The heavy cream also adds to the flavor and balances out the salty savory flavor of the Bouillon.
This soup is also very adaptable! You can add any extra veggies you’d like. You could also use a gluten-free flour if you need to make this soup gluten free.
When we have a busy evening, I like to make up soup or chili during the day, and keep it warm in the slow cooker until dinner time. Then we can easily eat between or after kids’ activities. I hope you’ll love this Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup as much as I do!
Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 cups water
- 4 tablespoons Better than Bouillon chicken paste
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 cups cooked wild rice
- 4 cups cooked & shredded chicken
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, diced
- Salt to taste
- Note: this recipe calls for cooked chicken and cooked wild rice. If you don't have these already prepared, the first step will be to cook the wild rice according to the package instructions, and cook the chicken (or purchase a rotisserie chicken and shred it into bite-sized pieces).Chopping and prepping all the ingredients first will make this soup come together quickly!
- In a large pot over medium heat, and 1/4 cup of unsalted butter. Once melted, add in diced onions and chopped carrots. Cover and cook until soft (about 5 minutes).
- Next, add in 1/2 cup of flour and mix well until flour dissolves into butter and vegetables. Then add in 4 cups of water and 2 cups of cream. Add in Better than Bouillon chicken paste.
- Mix well and bring to a boil. Cook until mixture begins to thicken.
- Once it begins to thicken, add in cooked chicken, wild rice, and spices. Mix well and continue stirring over medium-high heat until well combined.
- Just before serving, add in fresh chopped parsley.Taste test to see if it needs more salt – the Bouillon should add enough salt, but in case it still needs more you can salt to taste.Cover until ready to serve.