This post may contain affiliate links. See site Terms here.
These Banana Bread Bars with Chocolate Frosting are delicious and bake up so much faster than banana bread! You’ll love them.
We love banana bread, but it often takes a long time to cook up in a traditional loaf pan. I recently found this recipe for Banana Bread Bars from Tried and True Moms on Instagram. They make the bars with a browned butter frosting (which is delicious) but my kids prefer these bars with a chocolate frosting. The chocolate balances out the sweet banana nicely. (Click here to see my other sweet bread recipes.)
The thing you’ll love most about these Banana Bread Bars is how quickly they bake! 28 minutes in a sheet pan and they are done. Also, the consistency always turns out so well. And I love how many bars/pieces you can get out of 1 batch.
Banana Bread is a staple in most homes to use up old, overripe bananas. The history of banana bread can be traced back to the Great Depression in the 1930s, when people were looking for ways to use up overripe bananas that were too mushy to eat on their own. This led to the development of a recipe for banana bread that was simple, delicious, and made with ingredients that were easy to come by. Since then, banana bread has become a staple in many homes. I know it’s a staple in our house! Love having a quick and easy way to use up old bananas.
Next time you have some overripe bananas, be sure to try these Banana Bread Bars with Chocolate Frosting!
Banana Bread Bars with Chocolate Frosting
Banana Bread Bars
- 2 cups ripe bananas
- 1½ cups white sugar
- 1 cup sour cream (can sub plain yogurt)
- 1/2 cup softened butter (unsalted)
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional – this is my addition)
- 1/2 cup melted butter (unsalted)
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
Banana Bread Cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a rimmed 12×17 baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray (and I like to line with parchment paper also).
- Cream sugar, butter and sour cream.
- Add eggs, vanilla, and mashed bananas. Mix well.
- Combine dry ingredients then add to wet mixture. Mix until combined.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for 28 minutes at 350°F.
- Before removing from oven, make sure top of cake springs to the touch.
- Remove and let cool before frosting.
- Melt butter. Pour into a stand mixer with the cocoa powder and mix using the paddle attachment until combined.
- Slowly, add the powdered sugar, alternating with a tablespoon of milk, until you reach the consistency desired. Add vanilla and mix until incorporated.
- Once banana bars are cold, spread chocolate frosting across the top. Cut into squares and enjoy!
Hope you get a chance to make these Banana Bread Bars with Chocolate Frosting! You’ll love them and your family will too. Be sure to tag me on Instagram if you make these.