This post may contain affiliate links. See site Terms here.
These Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars are gooey and sweet – creamy chocolate chips with caramel – and only takes 1 bowl & 25 minutes.
I’d say about one out of every 5 things I bake is a variation of chocolate chip cookies. Honestly my favorite dessert of all time. I also love good desserts that work in bar form. These are so easy to slap in a pan, bake, and you’re done. No batches!
The addition of caramel adds so much chewy sweet texture. I love the flaked sea salt on top too (this is my favorite kind).
In my Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies I use a mix of milk chocolate and semisweet chocolate chips, but in this Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bar recipe I recommend using only semisweet chocolate chips. The caramel is so sweet you want a darker chocolate to offset it. Also, be sure to chop up your caramel into smaller pieces or buy the caramel bits – whole caramels would probably be too large in this!
The key to baking these perfectly is to bake until the edges are just done, pulling away from the sides of the pan, and the top is just lightly browned and set. You really don’t want to overtake them.
Bake them until they are just set, then let them rest in the pan for an hour or so before cutting. This will ensure they are warm and gooey without falling apart. It also really helps with cutting to line the pan with parchment and lift the whole pan of bars out at once, and cut on a cutting board. But if you don’t have parchment you can also just cut them in the pan.
Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- 4¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 sticks butter, unsalted, melted (1½ cups)
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or paste
- 2½ cups chocolate chips (I like to use semi-sweet chips in this recipe to offset the sweetness of the caramel)
- 1½ cups chopped caramel pieces (or caramel bits) (I like to chop the store-bought caramels into 2-3 pieces each, so they're not so big – the caramel bits work great too!)
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Line a rimmed cookie sheet (about 12×17 inches) with parchment, letting the excess hang over the edges of the pan by about 1 inch so you can grab those edges and pull the bars from the pan after they have baked.
- Mix the flour, salt, and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside. x
- Whisk the melted butter and sugars in a large bowl until combined. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well. Using a rubber spatula, fold the dry ingredients into the egg mixture until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and chopped pieces of caramel (reserve 1/2 cup of caramels to top the bars with). Turn the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with the spatula. Add remaining caramel pieces to the top.
- Bake until the top of the bars is light golden brown, slightly firm to the touch, and edges start pulling away from sides of pan, 24-28 minutes. Cool pan on a wire rack to room temperature. Once cooled, remove the bars from the pan by lifting the parchment overhang and transfer them to a cutting board. Cut into squares and serve.
I hope you love these Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars as much as we do! They are not only delicious but just so easy. Be sure to tag me @plumstreetcollective if you make them!