This post may contain affiliate links. See site Terms here.
I’ve been wanting to find a good recipe for Levain Bakery Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies for a long time. It’s hard to get the right consistency and many I saw looked too cakey. Then I saw A Bountiful Kitchen post her recipe and they looked perfect! I knew I had to try these.
Where have you been all my life?
The way she created the recipe to perfectly crisp the outside of the cookies while leaving the inside gooey is genius and perfectly matches Levain’s cookies. It’s a really hot oven and the dough is made into huge balls, basically crisping the outside quickly (without cooking it too long to become cake-y).
She did so much research – go through her whole post to see the details for these Levain Bakery Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies.
I tried cooking one batch on the sil-pat mat and one straight on the cookie sheet. The ones on the sil-pat mat held their shape better (stayed a little higher). But both still tasted great.
This cookie looks unlike any other cookie I’ve made. (My traditional chocolate chip cookies are a lot less brown.) These look a lot more done / brown on the outside – the outside is cooked to be very crisp. But don’t worry, the inside is gooey and delicious.
Levain Bakery Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies
- 1 cup butter cut into tablespoons
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 2 cups walnut halves
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- Pre heat oven to 400 degrees and set rack in middle of oven.
- Place butter into bowl and turn mixer on low. If using a stand mixer, use the paddle attachment.
- Add sugars and beat butter until smooth on medium speed. This should take about 1 minute. Mix until the butter pieces are completely blended with the sugar and is no longer visible in pieces.
- Add the eggs and beat on medium just until incorporated with butter and sugars, about 30 seconds.
- Turn the mixer off. Add the cake flour, all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Pulse the dry ingredients on low until the wet and dry ingredients are mixed together.
- Pour the walnuts into the batter all at once. Pulse the batter 5-6 times.
- Pour the chocolate chips into the batter and pulse again 5-6 times.
- Pour the batter out onto a clean surface. Fold the dough together a few times until all of the chocolate chips and walnuts are mixed into the batter.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces about 6 oz each. Use your hands to shape cookies. Do not use a cookie or ice cream scoop. The cookies are meant to be roughly shaped. Do not flatten the dough.
- Bake 4 cookies per pan, for 11 minutes on regular bake or 400 convection bake for 8-9 minutes.
- The cookies are done when the top is a bit golden and the bottom is also golden.
- Do not over bake. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Just promise me you’ll make these Levain Bakery Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies. Oh man. They are so good.