This post may contain affiliate links. See site Terms here.
These Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches with Sweet Garlic Mayo have perfectly seasoned steak with onions, peppers, and a sweet creamy mayo spread.
When you need an easy, quick, but ultra satisfying dinner, these Philly Cheesesteaks should be at the top of your list! They only take 20 minutes to throw together, they include veggies, and they are delicious. They are definitely one of my family’s top Main Dish recipe favorites.
What Are Philly Cheesesteaks?
Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches are thin slices of ribeye beef in a soft roll with melted cheese – many places in Philadelphia will use a cheese like Cheez Whiz but I prefer provolone. You can also add grilled onions, peppers, or mushrooms. Whatever type of toppings you like, these sandwiches are simple and satisfying, and no fuss. The Philly Cheesesteak has its roots in Philadelphia, dating back to the early 20th century. Legend has it that a hot dog vendor decided to grill some thinly sliced ribeye beef and put it in a roll, launching this iconic sandwich.
The secret to the amazing flavor of these sandwiches is the Sweet Garlic Mayo and the Montreal Steak Seasoning (if you haven’t used this, you need to try it! Adds so much flavor to the steak. Most stores carry it, or you can find it here on Amazon.)
Don’t skip this seasoning, and don’t skip the Sweet Garlic Mayo Spread! You know how much I love sauces and spreads – this sweet garlic mayo makes the sandwich.
What’s in Sweet Garlic Mayo?
Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches with Sweet Garlic Mayo
Sweet Garlic Mayo
- 2/3 cup mayo
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 lbs. ribeye steak, sliced thin
- 2 teaspoons Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Peppers & Onions
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 1 large sweet yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 6 oz. package sliced provolone cheese (8 slices)
- 1 package hoagie rolls
Sweet Garlic Mayo
- Begin this recipe by making the mayo, and letting it chill in the fridge. Combine all the mayo spread ingredients in a small airtight container, and mix until well combined. Chill in fridge until ready to serve.
- (This spread can also be made a day ahead or hours ahead of time.)
- Once ready to begin making the Philly Cheesesteaks, put the Ribeye Steaks in the freezer for 20-30 minutes. This will help you slice them thinly.
- Then preheat oven to 400°F.
Peppers and Onions
- Begin by sauteeing your diced peppers and onions.
- Over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a large nonstick skillet.
- Add in diced onions and cover. Let cook, stirring occassionally, until onions are soft.
- Once onions are soft, add in the diced green bell peppers. Cover again and sautee until the peppers are soft.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Remove the steaks from the freezer and slice thin, using a serrated knife. Trim off fat.
- Using the same nonstick skillet, place it on the burner over high heat. Let the pan heat for 1-2 minutes until very hot before adding steak.
- Once pan is hot, add steak directly to pan. (Ribeye has lots of fat layered throughout, so you don't need to add any oil. Also make sure to trim off any large pieces of fat on the steaks so your sandwiches aren't greasy.)
- Cook steak over high heat, using tongs to rotate pieces once they are seared. Brown steak, then add salt, pepper, and Montreal Steak Seasoning. (Here is a link to the Montreal Steak Seasoning – don't skip this ingredient – it makes the steak! Most stores carry it.)Mix seasoning into steak and stir around pan to ensure seasoning covers all the pieces of steak.
- Add peppers and onions into steak mixture and mix well to combine.
- Once steak is cooked, you have 2 options.1) You can add the slices of provolone directly to the top of the steak in the skillet, to let the cheese melt.2) Or you can add the provolone individually to each hoagie before placing in the oven.
- If you want to add the cheese in the skillet, add it now, cover, and turn heat down to low until cheese is melted. Then remove from heat.If you want to add the cheese to each hoagie, slice rolls in half and place upwards on a baking sheet. Add cheese. Place pan into preheated 400°F oven.
- Without cheese on hoagies, bake for 4-6 minutes until golden brown.If cheese is on the hoagie rolls, you may need to bake for a little longer in the oven to melt the cheese.Keep an eye on the rolls in the oven, until they are toasted to your liking.
- Remove hoagie rolls from oven, add the sweet garlic mayo to each hoagie, then add steak mixture to each hoagie.Fold sandwich over and enjoy! Serve with more mayo spread for dipping if desired.
I hope you get a chance to make these Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches with Sweet Garlic Mayo – they are the perfect Main Dish for a quick and filling weeknight dinner. Tag me @plumstreetcollective on Instagram if you decide to make these. Thanks for reading!