This post may contain affiliate links. See site Terms here.
This Steak Sandwich with Opal Apples and Sharp Cheddar with Honey Mustard Sauce – it’s so flavorful – savory steak, creamy cheese, & crisp Opal Apples!
I recently teamed up with Opal Apples after I learned about what a delicious and healthy product they are – Opal Apples are organic, non-GMO, and taste delicious! They are crispy and sweet – to me they taste like a cross between a honey crisp and golden delicious apple – and they are far superior any apple because get this, they don’t brown! I even sliced up an apple for this photo shoot, set it in the fridge all afternoon, and it didn’t brown at all! It’s wild. I don’t know how it happens. My kids are now only requesting Opal Apples in their lunch boxes because they don’t brown! One of my sons has asked for them every day for the past 3 days.
You know how much we love hearty sandwiches in our house -after teaming up with Opal Apples, I decided to make a savory, hearty, and delicious steak sandwich featuring their crisp apples. This sandwich is made up of seared seasoned steak, creamy sharp cheddar cheese, a tangy honey mustard sauce, and crisp sweet Opal Apples. All of these ingredients piled together on soft multi-grain bread makes for a delicious meal.
You will love this Steak Sandwich with Opal Apples and Sharp Cheddar with Honey Mustard Sauce!
Steak Sandwich with Opal Apples and Sharp Cheddar with Honey Mustard Sauce
Homemade Honey Mustard
- 1/3 cup yellow mustard
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons mayo
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1.5-2 lb. flank steak (or skirt steak)
- Montreal steak seasoning
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil (for searing)
For Building Sandwich
- 2-3 Opal Apples, sliced thin
- 4-8 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- green leaf or romaine lettuce
- whole grain bread
- Begin by making the Homemade Honey Mustard. In a small airtight container, combine mustard ingredients and mix well. Cover and chill until ready to serve. (Can be made ahead of time as well.)
- Next, prepare the steak. Place a large skillet pan over medium-high heat. Let it heat for 2-3 minutes until very hot. While heating, generously salt and pepper one side of the steak, and sprinkle with the Montreal steak seasoning.
- Once pan is hot, add a drizzle of oil to the bottom of the pan, just enough to lightly cover the bottom of the pan. Carefully place the steak (seasoned side down) into the hot pan, being careful to not burn yourself. It will sizzle.
- While the first side is searing, season the top side with more salt, pepper, and Montreal steak seasoning. Sear for 4-6 minutes per side, depending on how thick your steak is, and how done you'd like it. (I did 5 minutes per side for medium.)
- Once seared on each side, remove from heat with tongs and let steak rest on a cutting board for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Once rested, slice steak into thin strips. Sprinkle on a little more salt once sliced, to make sure each slice gets some salt. Set aside until ready to build sandwich.
Assembling the Sandwich
- Assembling the sandwich: once ready to eat, layer the honey mustard on each side of the bread (you can toast the bread if desired, or eat at room temperature). Then add lettuce, sharp cheddar cheese slices, and slices of steak.
- Top with the sliced Opal Apples, and then the remaining slice of bread.
- Cut sandwich in half and enjoy! If desired, you can serve with additional honey mustard.